Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Red Velvet Crinkles From Little Bites Cupcakery

Red Velvet is a real southern treat. A traditional one will taste like it has the right amount of cocoa that sets it apart from a vanilla cupcake, but not too much that would make it a chocolate cupcake. It is originally topped with sexy, velvety smooth cream cheese frosting, some top it with white chocolate frosting, I like mine the traditional way. I really don't like those red velvet cupcakes that are way too chocolatey. Don't get me wrong, it's just that red velvet is supposed to taste like red velvet, otherwise just go and eat a vanilla or a chocolate cupcake.

One of my favorite cupcakes, or even flavor, is red velvet. It is of course, well known in cake and cupcake form. But now there's red velvet ice cream, gelatos, cookies, cheesecake, truffles, etc. Recently, I had the chance to taste red velvet in crinkle form at the Ultimate Taste Test, in fact it's one of my favorites from the event. I've posted about the UTT, here. A few weeks after my first taste of Little Bites Cupcakery's Red Velvet crinkles, I was craving for it like crazy.


 Before we went to our house in Las Piñas, we picked up my order at Cittadella. It was my second time ordering these cute little sweets. I didn't get to take a picture of the first. Blame my mum, she ate most of it, I guess that's just how good these are. We got 8 boxes of Red Velvet Crinkles and a box of half a dozen Cookies N' Cream cupcakes. Whoa! I know what you're thinking, that's quite a lot of crinkles. 6 of those were for Polla, one of those was a gift for my mum, a whole box all to her self. Two for moi. :)

100Php for a pack of red velvet crinkles.

They come in plastic containers to seal in freshness, no one likes stale cookies. Packaging matters, but honestly, it isn't that big of a deal, it's all about the taste.

40Php/piece for the regular flavors like their Cookies N' Cream


Let's start with the crinkles...
There is no denying that I absolutely love their Red Velvet Crinkles!

Two small, thumbprint sized cookies sandwiching the creamy cream cheese frosting.


These are tender to the touch, you can tell that they are moist. They are soft and are not crumbly. Like little pillows in your fingers. The texture and consistency is great, most people would complain that it's too soft or what not, but crinkles aren't like most cookies that are crispy or pact and solid. They are meant to be soft and light, a little chewy too, and these are exactly that.

I must warn you, you can never eat just one! lol I'm telling you, we are so hooked on these.


The Red Velvet Crinkles are divine! Not too sweet and the flavor is just perfect. It's more on the chocolate side, but not too chocolatey. It had the perfect balance. The cream cheese frosting in the middle is my favorite flavor from the whole cookie. It's creamy and light, not too tangy though which is fine, the taste is smooth (lol, yeah! smooth/mild). It complements the taste of the cookie. I understand that too much frosting will cause the cookies to slide off, can't help it, I really wish there was more of the frosting to taste.

What I don't like about the cookies? I don't like the aftertaste, it's a bit bitter. Must be the powdered sugar if not the food coloring.

A few cupcakes were missing. Polla nicked two.

Moving on to the cupcakes...
Presentation wise, it was cute. Swirls of frosting with an Oreo and Oreo crumbs.


The cupcakes were good! Though not like, "Oh wow! That's delicious". The cake was dense, but wasn't dry.


A vanilla cupcake base with a whole Oreo surprise underneath. The frosting was, I think vanilla as well, but it tasted like cream, like the cream filling in Oreo, only a little toned down.


All in all, I think Little Bites Cupcakery has delicious sweets. But their Red Velvet is a best seller for a good reason.

Little Bites is a home based business. Won't be long before they make it big, specially with all the hype they've been getting. They already have quite a huge clientele. Ms. Cham (name above) is the owner and baker, she's nice. I met her at the UTT event, we had the booth next to theirs.

Try their sweets, they're really good! They have quite a lot of cupcake flavors, from the basic vanilla to blueberry, banana split to Ferrero and Bailey's Caramel. They also customize cupcakes and giant cupcakes for any occasion. Anyway, you can tell how good a cupcake shop is by trying their classic cupcake flavors and not just their best sellers.


Little Bites Cupcakery- Las Piñas
They have pick up locations at Las Piñas, SM Makati, and SM Mall of Asia (by schedule)
We picked up our order at their home in Cittadella near Las Piñas Doctors Hospital.

XXXOOO,
   Les :)

No comments:

Post a Comment