Wednesday, August 15, 2012

My Mum's Café Breton Crêpe Craving

Café Breton is one of the longest running crepe places in the Philippines, one of the best places for crepes. It's one of my family's favorite dessert place, where we can eat and chat. They don't only serve crepes, they also have good coffee, sandwiches/burgers, other caffeinated drinks, salads, beverages, even cocktails and wine. But of course, crepes are their specialty, that's the first thing that comes to my mind when I hear "Café Breton". 

Here's how we ended up at Café Breton late at night...

My mum has been craving for crepes for a week (I must have gotten my seriously mental craving habits from her haha), not just any crepe though, she wanted crepes from Café Breton. Good thing Polla saved the day by treating me and my mum to crepes for dessert after a day of accompanying her shopping for make up at Mega Mall. We must have spent more than an hour at Skin Food that day.

Polla and I shared this blueberry and cream cheese muffin at Muffin and Puffin for a little snack before dinner. It was okay, I didn't really taste the cream cheese in the batter, but if they were referring to that swirl of cheese on top, then that's kind of a sad excuse for cream cheese, because first of all it didn't taste like cream cheese at all. I did however like the muffin base, it was good. I might like their blueberry muffin then, maybe next time. The kuya serving there was friendly though.

Here's Piggy, she looks like she's really loving her make up.

After dinner at Sbarro, we headed to the Tomas Morato branch of Café Breton. We know there's one at Podium but I guess my mum didn't really wanna bother to walk over to Podium and the Tomas Morato branch is closer to our home.


It was past 11pm by the time we got there, but the place was still packed. Even after they were taking last orders, a few groups of people still came in. The Tomas Morato branch is one of the first branches of Café Breton. A little café hidden between restaurants and trees. It was like a little french kitchen inside, the ambiance was homey and cozy. I forgot to take lots of pictures, I really am new at blogging. 


They have a wide array of crepe flavors, savoury and dessert crepes. From the simple tomato, egg, and cheese to salmon or hamburger type filling. Don't even get me started on the dessert ones, from simple butter and sugar to the cherry preserves with cinnamon-rum flambe, oooh a few sinful ones there haha. For the Nutella crazy folks, they also have a Nutella crepe. You can also customize your own crepe, it's a never ending combinations with the different choices for fillings, sauces, and dips.

We only ordered dessert crepes. We were still full from dinner at Sbarro. No room for coffee or rootbeer floats, just crepes.

La Pinay

The craving woman's pick. It is a mango crepe with vanilla ice cream and chocolate sauce. It's one of their best sellers. My mum loves this! It's filled with mangoes and it's good with the vanilla ice cream. Well, almost every dessert is good with vanilla ice cream. :) Simple yet really good.

lol my mum told me to take a picture of at this angle because the stream of melted ice cream was running down the crepe. Teasing you to devour it immediately.

Mango Loco

Polla's pick. Mango crepe with vanilla ice cream, cinnamon and Grand Marnier licqeur. I guess it's called that because it has alcohol in it that will make you go loco. Polla said it was good, but the Grand Marnier was a bit overpowering. It's kinda funny, she said she wanted something with alcohol in it, she was all decided and excited about it, and then ended up not liking it because of the strong alcohol flavor.

DéJa Vu

Best for last, my pick. Also a mango crepe with vanilla ice cream, special cream sauce, whipped cream,  and caramel sauce drizzled on top haha and another "and" dusted with powdered sugar. Mine is more special haha, plus anything with whipped cream looks more special, don't you think? I loved this, I really do. It was creamy and tasted full of that mango-ey goodness. Although the crepe part kind of tasted bland, like it was really missing that crepe sort of buttery flavor. I still enjoyed it, all the other components made up for it. Once you cut in to it, the special cream sauce just oozes out of it. While writing this down I remember getting a fork full of the crepe with all the right amount of filling and sauce, it just makes me salivate and crave for one again. My taste buds are missing that creamy, mango and caramel taste that just covers the inside of my mouth.

It was a good break before doing an all nighter with fondant. Seems like everyone wanted mango that night lol. Personally, I really prefer the DéJa Vu over all the other mango crepes. The creamyness of it compliments the mango flavor, every flavor just goes well together y'know. The caramel sauce adds a different flavor without over powering, unlike the chocolate sauce of La Pinay that sometimes covers the flavor of the mango and the ice cream, too chocolatey. As well as the Grand Marnier from Mango Loco, which was way too over powering. I'm also not too keen on the taste of alcohol and I'm not a fan of cinnamon either, except on snickerdoodle cookies.


After a whole day of shopping for make up, I got a new nail color. Nail polish really is my biggest vanity. Went to bed with a happy tummy and nails. I was so full, I wanted to get a second crepe, the butter and sugar one, but I was just too full.

Thank you, Polla Piggy! :*


Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to raid the fridge and look for something sweet. Writing this post made me crave for DéJa Vu and it's 3am, where will I find crepes at this unholy hour? :(

Café Breton
Tomas Morato cor. Sct. De Guia, Quezon City.
Check this page for a list of other branches.

XXXOOO,
   Les :)

No comments:

Post a Comment