Friday, October 26, 2012

A Hip Katsu Place in Hong Kong

I love japanese food and one of my favorite dish would be katsudon. There is a wide variety of katsu, but I have a specific fave. Mine would be a bowl of steaming hot japanese rice, topped with very tender pork or chicken covered with panko breadcrumbs, then deep fried 'til it's golden brown, drizzled with toknatsu sauce and covered with onions and eggs. Aaah, it certainly makes your mouth water and it's a really good comfort food.

Looking for a hip and new Katsu place in Hong Kong?
Well, you should go and check out HIP Katsu!
Other than Tonkitchi, it's one of the best katsu places in Hong Kong.

There's not much pictures, okay. After going to Sky 100 and walking around Elements we were really hungry. It was past lunch time and we were looking for a place to eat. We went to Harbour City and I saw this like modern japanese restaurant, so we thought of giving this place a try.


My Tita (aunt) had the Shrimp Tempura set with a melange of vegetables and I'm not sure what that dish in the middle is called, but it's some sort of tofu haha.

Shrimp Tempura
My tita said this was really good daw.

Of course, a bowl of rice.

The tempura set didn't come with rice so she ordered an extra bowl of rice.
I love japanese rice. It's different than our usual rice. It's much more rounder, softer, a little bit sticky too. I like the texture of it and I feel it compliments the other food, but lawd it makes me eat more haha.

Tita Mymy's order

I forgot what this one was called. Basically, it's chicken kimchi with curry on the side. Again it was a set, it had salad, that tofu, pretty much all kinds of veggies again. She said it was really good as well. The chicken was flavourful.


This was the tofu that I'm not even sure if it really was tofu. It was served cold and when I tried it, it did taste a little bit like tofu but it also tasted like bland flan, a little eggy. Don't get me wrong, it tasted okay, it was light and had texture like jello/flan. This had us guessing what it really was, so if you know what this is, please tell me.

Strawberry Lemonade <3

On to mine. I love their strawberry lemonade garnished with mint sprigs! You can tell it's freshly squeezed and that they used real strawberries. Refreshing! It was perfect, specially for that hot day. A perfect balance of sweet and sour, the classic lemonade taste that with a lovely strawberry flavor. My Tita had the classic lemonade and it had the perfect tangy-sweet taste too. HIP Katsu has a wide variety of lemonade, from lychee to grapefruit lemonade. But strawberry lemonade will always be my favorite. :)

My Katsu set

My katsudon set with canadian pork tonkatsu on top of japanese rice with egg. I had high expectations and this definitely did not disappoint! I tried the vegetables, okay. I just don't eat vegetables.


The pork was tender and easy to chew (it's important cause I have braces). It was evenly coated with panko coating, not like those cheap katsu places that has more breading than pork. It will not make you "umay". I finished the whole thing in no time! It was over all flavorful, the sauce was good, the egg and the onions gave it a really good texture and added flavor. I'm telling you, this is not your ordinary katsudon because I tried the katsudon at City Super and it was not the same!

HIP Katsu has won over my katsu loving heart, it's definitely one of the best katsu I've had. The food and drinks are really good. One of the places I'll be coming back to in Hong Kong. It's cheaper than Tonkitchi, too!



HIP Katsu
Shop 2608-10, Level 2, Gateway Arcade
Harbour City, Kowloon.
Check out their website and menu, here.


XXXOOO,
   Les. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment